Finally a doctor who is saying all of the things I believed were right and true. Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride has put a lot of pieces of the puzzle together for me and it makes me happy. The connection between the Gut and Psychology gives me hope. I have had depression and digestion problems for years, and certain illnesses, such as ADHD and Autism have raised their ugly heads in my family. Dr. Campbell-McBride has found through her extensive research, personal experience, and her medical practice that these crazy auto-immune diseases and disorders like autism are all connected to problems in the gut. Once digestion issues surface and a yeast imbalance forms in the gut, a thing called Leaky Gut Syndrome can begin. Leaky Gut Syndrome occurs when yeast spores grow roots and poke holes into the lining of the gut. Through these holes in the intestinal wall, undigested food particles go directly into the blood stream. This causes food intolerances and auto-immune disease, as well as, other psychological problems. Our body is a system, when one thing goes wrong it causes other things to go awry and so on and so on.
What is her treatment for these problems? Bone broth. I have been happily validated in my belief that animal fats are good for you. The bone broth heals the gut of its leakiness. Once the gut is healed the body can start to repair itself of all kinds of problems. For various reasons, grains are the foods that cause the gut problems. They are very hard to break down, especially for those with damaged stomachs, and cause lots of digestion problems. Bone broth, on the other hand, is full of minerals which are 100% assimilable to our body. This completes the picture for me. I knew that grains were a problem for folks with yeast imbalances, but I didn’t know why. I also didn’t realize how nutritious bone broths are. I always knew that animal fats were not the cause of heart disease. It’s the ‘low fat’ products and hydrogenated oils we are eating that are damaging our artery walls. Cholesterol isn’t the bad guy. It simply sticks to the damage in the artery walls and this causes restrictions which make the blood pressure rise.
Other aha moments while reading this book:
- Families with children with autism have histories of digestion issues and usually psychological problems as well. So if the mother has a yeast infection and maybe suffers from ADHD her child may be born with a yeast infection and compromised immune system. Then the little guys with low immune systems get their vaccinations and wham their body is overloaded. Signs of Autism start showing up.
- A yeast infection can best be cured by healing the leaky gut rather than trying to starve out the yeast of sugar. Bone broth heals the gut, so that the digestion system can start to normalize itself.
- High cholesterol being a factor in heart disease is a lie that has afforded all sorts of drugs to be sold and which have resulted in many people having side effects, namely memory loss, hence the increase in dementia in the elderly. Animal fats do not cause heart disease!! Eggs are not bad for you!! The whole farce of ‘low-fat’ is just that, a farce.
- People who suffer psychological problems, such as depression, ADHD, Autism, Schizophrenia eczema, asthma, food allergies, invariably have digestion and gut problems. Once the good flora balance has been regained many other problems disappear as well.
- Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride points out that because of the specializations in the medical profession the idea of treating a person as a whole is not done. This is true most especially in the area of psychiatry. Therefore, things are missed and connections are not made between the different parts of the body. This causes treatment to focus on the symptoms rather than the root problem.
I’m convinced that bone broth is very nutritious. It is full of minerals and healthy fats, which people with Psychology issues are often deficient in. The best thing is that these healing minerals are easily assimilable through the broth. It requires little digestion freeing up the body to carry out healing the yeast imbalance.
I highly recommend the GAPS book by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD, MMedSci(neurology), MMedSci(nutrition)
For more information: